Friday, May 4, 2007

Poetry: Issue 3

Memoirs From a Dance Floor
by Rachel Thompson

Their grace was subtle, and I fell into step
with them,
with my eyes.
They didn’t need physical touch to move together
like water.

A business man pulled off his mask
and trampled imaginary papers
under his jazz feet
while spinning the woman
in the red dress.

The floor got slick
when the salsa crowd hit.
Their moves talked sweet,
coaxing the lights
to dance.

A man brought me punch the color of wine.
And I drank it slowly,
watching him go back and forth,
Back and forth —a drink for every woman,
without dancing one step.

When she entered,
the room hushed, smooth and silent.
And when she breathed,
they pulled their dances toward the wall.
And gave her the spot
in the centerof the floor.
A couple walked out kissing.

Polka music played for two songs.

I watched other
couples
who tapped
their dance.

She skirted his hand
and spun in a circle
around him.
I watched as they played
with the music. I watched
their beautiful feet.
Morning Glory
by Anna Forbes
The sun silently disregarded my curtains this morning.
He crept in and sprawled himself across the linen
As if there was room for two.
“You’re early,” I said.“Please come back in an hour.”
Now he was recklessly throwing gold against my wall
and showing off my dust collection.
“What next?” I asked my bold intruder.
The wind gently replied instead.
I couldn’t refuse this fresh sea breeze,
so I put my feet on the hardwood floor
and stepped into my shoes.

No comments: